Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Crushes

I was honored to be asked to be a guest blogger again in September. Somewhere I've never guest posted before. As I was thinking about my post and what I have yet to write, the phrase "brown noser" came to mind. Please note that brown nosing on my part had nothing to do with getting the invitation. I promise. My brilliance just blew her away. And that's the truth. :)

Anyway, so that you have it in context, here's what I was thinking: The sentence (for the guest post) might go something like this: "I'm convinced that a little upfront brown nosing is never a bad idea. Especially when they think they are just doing something nice for someone else".

The guest post, by the way, will appear on the 16th, but I can't tell you where. I'm not sure if it's a secret.

But anyway, the term "brown nosing" reminded me of this girl named Melissa I had in High School French. She was very aloof, very pretty, very goth, and very intimidating. She accused me of brown nosing the teacher. Up until that point in my life, I had never heard the term. I was like, "huh"? But I tried to act like I knew what she was talking about so she wouldn't think I was a moron, but she saw right through me. So, she was kind enough to explain it to me. My "huh?" turned into a "huh!". I never knew my modi operandi had a name. Oh, yes......I flattered my way into others good graces even then.

Thinking of Melissa made me recall her boyfriend who shall remain nameless because, well, I can't remember. I'm not convinced I ever even knew it in the first place. But that's beside the point. I had a crush on him.....as in, he was an upper class man that was different and cool and so attractive, even though he was goth. I wanted a cool boyfriend just like him. Just smarter. I think he even talked to me occasionally.....which was OK because he wasn't the brightest light on the block. I didn't have to worry about being flustered by intelligent conversation from a cute guy.

And then I remembered my 6th grade crush. His name was John V. He was a 7th grader. We had 2 classes together and he sat right behind me in both classes since our last names were near each other in the alphabet. Now that I think about it though, I don't know why he sat behind me.....his last name came first. Anyway, there's a mystery that shall remain unsolved....he was SO cute, and he was nice. And he talked to me all the time. My crush lasted all year. He was always asking me who I liked and I always enjoyed telling him that I would never tell. Then one day my sister, my flesh and blood ratted me out. We won't even go into how mad I was at her. Then, he, Mr. John V. had the nerve to tell me he knew who I liked. Well, that was THAT. I never spoke to him again. I mean, I was MORTIFIED.

Which made me think of a crush I had on another guy my Freshman year. I had English with him and we sat on opposite sides of the classroom. I could tell that he was smart, even though he didn't volunteer answers. He was cute, AND he played basketball. He didn't know I existed, which at the time was fine by me. I was able to gaze at his unsuspecting face for a whole hour every day. He was also "taken" by my friend. Or so I thought. She had his name doodled on every square inch of school material she owned. I felt fine waiting to move in on her territory, then. I forgot about my resolve Sophomore year. Junior year I saw him a few times and recalled with nostalgia how he was the only guy my age that I thought was cute in the good ol' days. Senior year, I pounced. That chick from before was history.

And now we've been married a decade and we have 5 kids.


*Don't forgot to join me tomorrow for Wordful Wednesday. It's just not as fun without you.

Photobucket

57 comments:

Robin said...

Oh my goodness, he was your high school crush? And you landed him, married him, and really truly lived happily ever after?

Swoon...

So romantic... Happy goofy sigh.

Carrie and Jim said...

This is a really neat story. Thanks or sharing. I often think back to my high school crushes and I thank God that I didn't end up with them. I'm glad you found a great one and that you have spent a wonderful life together!

My name is Tammie said...

I love it!!!

Rhonda said...

Awww!

(Does he know that you had a crush on John V. and then named your son after him? lol

Shannon said...

Too great!!! Love the pouncing part, lol.

Unknown said...

What a great story Angie. I love hearing about how with patience you can acquire the things that you really want! ; )

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness ! He was your high school crush... how romantic.
I think you were wise; good things come to those who wait.

You two look so perfect together.
Thank you for letting us in on that!
Inquiring minds wanna know.

Mandy said...

I can't wait to see that guest post! :-) Happy Crushes! Love your hubby story...so sweet!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. I love it. Good for you for pouncing. We girls gotta do that sometimes !

Casey's trio said...

Ha-Ha...this was a fun read! What a great story you and Jeff have to tell:) And I can't wait to find out where you are guest posting!

AutoSysGene said...

Oh, I know where that bed is from....I'm so going there...well, if a hurricane doesn't flatten the place.

Hey, you want to guest blog for me when I'm gone?

Threeundertwo said...

That's so sweet!! And what a cute picture of you guys!

Laura said...

I already knew some of this story but it was so much better reading it this way! Oh and I know you did not really name John after your high school crush (lol).

Can't wait to see where you are guest posting!

Jaime said...

This was a fun post. I loved reading about you and your husband. So it was you, then, that made the first move? That's awesome:)

Clark Captions said...

Very tender! Way to be patient before making the big move! I love the happily ever ending stories! And your family is beautiful too!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Way to bid your time and them go in for the kill! Looks like you won! You are a cute couple! :)

Cecily R said...

Look at you two and your cuteness! I love your pouncing story!

Oh, the crushes I could talk about...except a lot of them are my friends on facebook. And what if they read my blog? Mortifying!:)

Mozi Esme said...

Aw, how sweet!

I've been thinking of crushes this week too for some reason, but nothing as romantic as this. . .

Melissa said...

Oh that's wonderful!
Cool post.

Tonya Staab said...

ha, what a great story.

It was funny being back 'home' recently and driving around old neighborhoods and past houses or 'date spots' of old flames. Memories.

Live.Love.Eat said...

That is sooo cool you have known each other since high school. It's only been a few years huh :) You guys make a nice couple!!! Ah, I remember my crushes. Spent too much time walking down a hallway I didn't need to be just to pass a certain locker.......

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I love your story! You guys make such a cute couple! :)

Kim said...

What a great story! Makes me remember some of my crushes! Anyway that's awesome that you married your highschool sweetheart!

United Studies said...

Wow....you two make a very good-looking couple!!

Tracy said...

how neat that a crush is now the love of your life. I think back and still smile some blushed embarrassment over some of my crushes. I'll need to remember this for when my girls are older.

Abby said...

Angie there's no need to keep a secret. I will let the cat out of the bag. We are thrilled to have Angie guest spotting on our blog over at www.stealsdeals.blogspot.com!

We picked her b/c we both (my sister and I who run the blog) have a blog crush on her ;)

Jen said...

I am married my high school sweet heart and his name is Jeff too. That was a really nice post. Sometimes everyone needs a little 'brown nosing.'

Anyway, thanks for you support and sorry that you were not one of the finalist. Just keep up with the recipes, I like your salad. I made it this past weekend. Yum!

Kristin said...

I should have seen that coming, but I didn't. Cute story. Is that a tattoo on his arm? Rebel!

Sherri said...

I married my high school crush too!!! I NEED to post that story!!

Kate said...

love the stream of consciousness AND the fact that you have red-heads. My number three finally shares my hair:) glad to have found your blog!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I love that photo and the post!

I'll be here...er...there....on Wednesday for "Wordful Wednesday."

Mark and Kiss said...

Angie, I love the way you write and take us by the hand down memory lane. So beautifully and cleverly said. I love your humor. It makes it even more fun knowing both of you when I read your posts. Jeff IS a great catch! He's a wonderful provider, a good guy, kind and thoughtful, a good daddy, and capable at doing anything handy. It's fun to hear your story because he is the perfect high school crush, cute, quiet and smart....however, I must say that he got quite a catch as well.

Connie said...

That was AWSEOME Angie!! So cute. I see why you had a crush...he's adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! Did you go to your 10yr reunion. Bet you guys were "the" alumni success story. Congratulations, you are working well on a life well lived!

sassy stephanie said...

How sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Kim Heinecke said...

Yummy story! If I had married my high school crush, I probably would've had to help break him out of the "pen". Mr. Rogers wasn't quite the catch I once thought!

Hoping to play tomorrow - gotta dig something up...

Lottie_Ellie said...

That is so sweet. I love the photo too! No wonder you have five such beautiful children.

Elizabeth said...

I love it...what a great telling of it too.

Laurie said...

That was a fun story to read and I am glad that you are together! You make a very cute couple.

Just went to my Jeff's high school reunion this past weekend. Small town and his cousin graduated with him. She was looking at her old crush and thanking God that they did not end up together. He is now bald and overweight! :)

Kristen Jensen said...

heehee, I love it, "you pounced". Good catch Ang, good catch.

WheresMyAngels said...

You all make a cute couple!!
It is a good think Child Husband and I didn't meet while I was in highschool, cause if we had, that would of meant I was his babysitter!! lol

Tiffany said...

I love that you pounced... yeah, senior year, you definitely get your "pounce on".

Jill said...

Wow... I love a story with a happy ending.

What a beautiful photo of you guys!

Beth Madigan LCSW, ACC, BCC said...

A walk down my own memory lane. Beautiful story and lovely family!

Beth Madigan LCSW, ACC, BCC said...

A walk down my own memory lane. Beautiful story and lovely family!

christa jean said...

Congrats on 10 years of marriage! It is becoming a rare thing to last so long, sadly.

I love seeing the pics of your redheads! My oldest has red hair and I never saw that coming! I'm not sure I can catch up to you by the time I reach my 10 year anniversary, but I'll be close!
With 3 daughters living, one in heaven, and a baby boy in the womb. What a crazy and glorious life it is!

Glad I found ya!

Gunnisac Sandersons said...

Angie, that was awesome to read! I love to think back on all the guys I had crushes on. There were a lot!!!!! Woah, that will take me a moment. Carl was a huge rush and unfortunatley he was dating my roommate when I was getting to know him. Ha,ha,ha! I broke that rule. oh well. Very cute.

Helene said...

That was a great story of how you met your husband!!! Definitely a happy ending!! Isn't it fun to think back to that time and now realize that you have 5 kids together?!!

Salty Incisor said...

2 cute for words!!! Love it! Aren't you glad you pounced?

Unknown said...

What a great story! And he's a real cutie, too!
I'm visiting via SITS!

Rhea said...

I can't wait to hear where you are guest blogging!

I've guest blogged once, and I volunteered to do it. I've never been asked. It was nerve wracking though, worrying I was going to offend the blogger's readers or write a stupid post. I think I did ok. I think.

Rhea said...

BTW, love that you POUNCED hubby. Too cute.

Kristen Andrews said...

found your blog from Jennifer at The Dirty Shirt, love it! I think you are on Beautiful Faboulous also! Howdy!

Kristen Andrews said...

found your blog from Jennifer at The Dirty Shirt, love it! I think you are on Beautiful Faboulous also! Howdy!

raising4boys said...

Loved your story. It's always fun to hear how couples met. Yours definitely kept me on the end of my seat.

Anonymous said...

I love a good love story! Hubby and I met 17 years ago in June. We've been married for 12 of those glorious years! I was a baby when I met him...18, almost 19 and I still love him as much, if not more then I did that day! You guys make an adorable couple! True love does exist...aren't we lucky???

Darla said...

Love the story!