Monday, July 27, 2009

KA by Cirque du Soleil

Hum...........where to begin?

Is it too forward and in poor taste to just blurt out that KA was LAME? With a capital L?

I basically INSISTED that Jeff and I go to Vegas for our Anniversary for TWO reasons. First, and foremost, we needed to smuggle buy some paint that is now the equivilent of contraband in California in another state. This particular paint is amazing for painting trim and it was pulled from the shelves last month. Something about exceeding the VOC's allowed by the air-quality-control-powers-that-be here in CA. I appreciate air quality measures, just not this one. I needed this paint. My privacy and sanity was hinging on it.

How, you might ask?

Let me tell you.

If I didn't get that paint, then my interior doors would never get painted and I'd continue to have NO PRIVACY and I would lose my mind. Guaranteed. {Just in case you are wondering why not use another paint? Well, no other paint will do. Seriously. }

Anyway.

On with my story.

I also really, really wanted to see a Cirque du Soleil show.

I hand picked KA.

Apparently, I'm a poor hand-picker, because KA was not for me. Or Jeff.

For the PRICE.

I would probably be singing praises about KA IF the tickets were like 50 bucks a piece. But, at $147.00 per ticket for mid-level seats, I felt ripped off.

Here's what MGM says about KA:

"KÀ by Cirque du Soleil is an unprecedented theatrical event. A masterpiece in storytelling, KÀ uses acrobatic performances, the thrills and action of martial arts techniques from all over the world, plus innovations in puppetry and multimedia to tell the epic tale of twins on a perilous journey to fulfill their shared destiny.
Along the way, the twins confront characters and events representing the opposing forces of good and evil. Before their world comes under attack and collapses around them, the twins receive a magical talisman for protection. As the plot unfolds, danger lies in wait for them at every turn.
KÀ by Cirque du Soleil brings the visual language of cinema to a dazzling live event that is more about storytelling than any previous Cirque du Soleil production."


Here's what I have to say:


If this production is more about storytelling than any other Cirque du Soleil production, then the producers need some serious storytelling 4-1-1. One of the things that I found fault with is the story line. It was hard to follow and seemed disjointed.


Honestly, I may have had a bad taste in my mouth from the get-go which tainted the show for me. Before the show begins, they have these costumed "ushers" helping people find their seats (and reprimanding about half the audience that can't read the signs that say "no photography", and are taking pictures ) that are ridiculous. Think Pirates of the Caribbean meet Water World or Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I'm still shaking my head.


Before I go on with negatives, I should tell you that the technical aspects of the set ARE amazing. Super amazing. The stage truely is a masterpiece that twists, turns, even goes vertical.......


But, I don't understand how certain acts in the production made the cut. There are a few "comedic" acts that just don't fit. At all. Further, there is a hand puppet scene that would have totally impressed me. If I had my 5 kids there with me.


I'm still perplexed. Supposedly, "the twins receive a magical talisman for protection". Perplexed because for the life of me, I couldn't tell you what that talisman is. And I sat through the whole show. I paid attention, too.


Lastly, the costume director for the character that plays the female twin's (the twins are boy/girl) "love" interest MISSED the BOAT. Big time. Picture this: Fabio covered in heavy body glitter, wearing a THONG. Only. Let's be clear here. Were talking something (gold, I might add) that covers the package in front, with a little T in the rear exposing the full buttocks. That's for most of the production. At the end, it gets better. He gets to wear a wedding gown. Seriously. Wears a gold and cream dream-princess-type skirt. Alrighty then.

My recommendation? Unless you get heavily discounted tickets.....you might consider just missing it next time you are in Vegas and feel the need to see Cirque du Soleil.

37 comments:

thatgirlblogs said...

we went to vegas in november and everything seemed overpriced and under produced. Mama Mia was good, but David Copperfield had hair plugs and was $100 for a few tricks and a lot of intermittent videos of his old TV shows.

MamabearMills said...

im so sad danny gans died, that is a show that was simply the best here in vegas! im so glad i saw Ka for FREE and was wasted the whole time and don't remember what i saw! hahahha. lmfao. seriously, i dont remember anything but people crawling on the stage while it was upside down

Mark and Kiss said...

So sad! Sorry it was so incredibly lame. We went to Vegas five years ago for our tenth anniversary and saw Blue Man Group, much more entertaining.

scrappysue said...

bummer - that's quite a review! so did u get the paint, and at least enjoy the rest of your anniversary!?!

Dumb Mom said...

Just so happens I'm gonna be in Vegas soon, so thanks!

Courtney said...

never been to vegas but have always wanted to go. I wanted to see "O" by Cirque du Soleil but would probably agree with Mark and Kiss about Blue Man group being better.

I saw them live when they were in town here and they rocked!

Kiki said...

Glad you bought your "special" paint. We have no rules about paint here. Sorry that Cirque stunk. When we went to Vegas we just walked around and visited various hotels. We had no money or time for big shows. We saw the circus this year, and a lot of folks we know that saw it too said it was very Cirque de Soleil-ish. I was impressed with the circus, but I would never pay to see the real Cirque. I never understood the fascination with Riverdance either. I watched it on PBS. I'm all about FREE! Have a wonderful day and I hope the next show you see is worth your time and money. Take care.
-Kiki

confused homemaker said...

It's an acquired taste I think. I don't know that or you need to have a lot to drink before you go. Then almost anything is funny, probably though not what they are going for. Sorry you didn't like it.

Halftime Lessons said...

Wow, thanks for the great info! We are in discussions for a trip right now, and Ka WAS a possibility! Thanks for saving us three hundie!

J

United Studies said...

Thanks for the warning! I am not sure I will ever make it to Vegas, but if we do...I will go to the Blue Man Group.

kisatrtle said...

Sorry you had a crappy time. Based on your review i don't think I'll be seeing it anytime soon.

Brandy said...

We are headed to Vegas this weekend and I have been debating on whether or not to get tickets for Cirque du Soleil but maybe I'll just find something else to go see.

Rhonda said...

Well, Angie, I guess we're going to have to find a different show to see in October!!

Shannon said...

Bummer! Nothing like traveling to see a much anticipated show only to be disappointed. Well, I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful and you got that paint you were wanting:)

Kimberly said...

I will remember this advice/review next time I think about seeing KA. Thanks for the warning! It sounds like a real gem...

T Rex Mom said...

Every time we go to Vegas I want to see a show but they always seem so expensive and we pass on going. I've always felt sad that I did not get to see this particular show. Now I don't - thank you!

You might mention to them your displeasure, you might get a refund.

I'd love to see this paint you are talking about.

Kristina P. said...

That's too bad about Ka! I've seen Mystere, and it was awesome.

Jen said...

that sucks, sorry to hear about the bad show.

Erin said...

I am making a mental note for the next time we go. Sorry the show sucked!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

What a bummer! I totally want to see a Cirque show, but I agree that the price is crazy!!

Laura said...

My sister in law is going in a week. I am watching her kids. I think they are doing to Mystere, I hope its better. It was free with their room.
Happy Anniversary. I have been so busy. I have missed our email etc...

KatBouska said...

Wow! What a let down...and what a rip off. Suddenly I'm not so interested in going to see a show...

Susie said...

It stinks to pay that much and be that disappointed to that degree!

girlytwins said...

I hope you at least got the paint. :)

I am so happy you posted this as we have been talking about going to see a Cirque show. I will cross KA off my list. I am sure you still had a fabulous time in Vegas besides your costly lame show :)

Lula! said...

Y'all should have seen LOVE. At the Mirage. Best Cirque show ever.

Well, OK...it's the only Cirque show I've seen, but it was AMAZING. I love the Beatles. I loved LOVE. Seriously.

Cheryl Lage said...

Your review is AWESOME and HONEST! :)

Love Vegas, but the shows, yeeegads, are they pricey. When I think of the number of $2 margaritas I could get for a single ticket, I blanch!

Appreciate the heads up...will definitely pass on KA. ;)

Jenners said...

Crap -- for that much money I want a personal show in my house! I didn't see KA but I saw about 4 other Cirque shows in Vegas and my favorite was the first one -- Mystere (which I believe is at TI).

Anonymous said...

Geez, I sure am glad E nixed the idea of Cirque this summer as I insisted it was sure to be grand.

I thought virtually every show they did was magnifique! A gold thong and his heiny showing? well....Maybe it was a comedy. Yes, a cheap comedy.
At least you got the paint :)

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! LMAO reading this! All I am picturing is that movie Knocked Up, when they go to see Corque as well and take mushrooms to enjoy it. LOL
I'm thinking that from the way you are describing it, maybe that is the only way to watch that show. LOL (not that I advocate drugs. )

Glad you got the paint! Sad that CA is making so many crazy regulations!

Anonymous said...

Don’t base your opinion on someone else’s about Cirque shows. You must see them all and have your own opinion on them. Personally I hated "O" and lots of people enjoyed it... KA is an amazing show; I really enjoyed it a lot. And the "gatekeepers" in the beginning are my favorite part. They're hilarious. I totally recommend KA, if you’re not theatrically challenged that is.

Jocasta said...

Oh my - that's like $300 NZ for 1 ticket - Crickey!

Kristin said...

Wow. Sorry about that. We lived in Vegas for 4 years and never did get around to seeing a Cirque show. I hear the one to see though is 'O'. We actually had a guy in our ward, a polynesian fire dancer that was in the show. I really wanted to go. Couldn't ever spend that much though... It was good to see you this weekend!

Unknown said...

I can't believe the tickets are so expensive now. My husband and I saw this on our honeymoon. I am not sure if they changed the show but I certainly don't remember puppets. I do remember the awesome set but not the jokes. Hmm, seems like we had an entirely different experience. Sorry to hear that.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I probably won't go to Vegas any time soon, but wow...if I do I will avoid this like the plague. That last description so frightened me I may be having nightmares for weeks.

Unknown said...

I am glad you got your paint : ). And I am sorry your tickets were so much. That is a lot. Wow. I have never been to a cirque show. My best friend went to one in Philadelphia once. Loved it as I recall : )

noexcuses said...

First timer, here. I was sent over by Tutu's Bliss. I agree that Cirque is an aquired taste and is different for everyone. While you were watching KA, we were watching "LOVE". We are big Beatles fans so we knew we'd like half of it anyway. We loved it, but then, I love just about anything live. Try not to make sense of it (intellectual), but just enjoy it for the art and hard work involved (non-intellectual)!

BTW, I would be eternally grateful if you could put Mr. Linky instructions into a pre-school language that I might understand. I feel like an idiot not being able to figure it out.

Wonderful blog! I hope to be back real soon!

Leslie said...

Ryan and I would have to agree with you 500% on the paint. Good choice. I hear the remodel is coming along, it looks lovely from what I can see. I heard good things from Shauna. You'll have to send some pics. I'm sorry we missed you when we were there in June. And sorry @ Cirque...the last one we saw was about four years ago in Orlando and it was fabulous.