Monday, April 27, 2009

Stroller Tutorial Anyone?

Blogging has provided me with so many great opportunities. Not only do I get to write about whatever I feel like that day, I know that I'll always get some reaction from you, which is really my favorite part. It's also afforded me the opportunity to interact with companies that sell items that I use and favor.
One such company is CSNbaby.com. They actually contacted me about publishing an article that they would provide on the topic of my chosing. So cool.
The single most popular question that I get asked by parents who are expecting is "what is the best stroller?" It's a hard question. I can always recommend the stroller that I can't live without (which is a Maclaren double), and I can tell them what strollers I've used and don't care for, but I haven't tried out every stroller out there, and never will. That's why it's nice to have an expert in the field for some general questions. Here's what they told me:
Double Stroller Dilemma

Among the long list of baby furniture and accessory essentials, a high quality stroller is definitely a must-have item for parents. When you begin to travel with your children it’s important to keep your personal lifestyle in mind in order to find the right fit for you and your set of kids. For instance, assess your environment and determine whether it is more of an urban, suburban, or rural community and take into consideration the types of vacations your family have enjoyed in the past or would like to experience in the future.


  • Jogging Strollers are athletically designed with thicker tires than a standard model and are attached to three sturdy steel wheels that can easily rotate, swivel, and lock into place. The ergonomic handlebar is similar to the grip you may find on an exercise machine, allowing on-the-go parents to incorporate a little exercise into their routine in a safe and convenient way. When it comes to taking a jog around the neighborhood or going through a nature trail in town, steering a double jogging stroller around is a breeze and you will appreciate the sporty and rustic look!


  • Standard Strollers feature a double seat for your set of children to sit comfortably in and are equipped with four sets of sturdy wheels and a five point harness to ensure a safe ride around the neighborhood. As opposed to jogging strollers that pride themselves on handling all-terrain surfaces, these standard models are well equipped for walking on sidewalks in the city, through the mall for errands, or on a leisurely stroll at the park. These models feature a retractable canopy that easily accommodates sunny or rainy weather conditions, keeping your child comfortable throughout the day.


  • Lightweight Strollers feature a durable aluminum frame that is very easy to set up in a matter of seconds. This style has become increasingly popular among young families given the amount of traveling that occurs throughout the year from visiting the in-laws across the state to flying cross-country. Incorporating a stroller into a busy travel schedule provides a fun, stress-free activity for many parents and it’s a great way to stay active during the trip. This convenient, collapsible stroller folds easily and can be transported with minimal effort with an ergonomic handle or carrying strap.


  • Tandem Strollers are similar to the width of a single stroller as the double seating style is positioned with one seat in front of the other. A unique feature of a tandem stroller is how the front seat can swivel and face backward, allowing your kids to have a number of different views of the environment around them. This particular way of seating works wonderfully for a set of children of different ages such as a baby and toddler duo seeing as the back seat for babies is comfortably spacious while the older toddler can be placed in the front seat facing forward or backward.





  • Photobucket

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have a need for a double since my kids ages aren't close enough but I currently have 7 singles in my house. Yep 7! Every one has a different use: travel, exercise, ultra compact for a smaller car, for rear-facing with an infant, one good for heavier duty trips and a kid step on the back. I don't use all of them currently and am selling the ones I don't use but I could never have gotten by with just one.
I do feel quality is key. I keep to brands like Quinny, Bugaboo, Maclaren and Peg Perego. They may cost more but they are worth it.

kisatrtle said...

After reading this I feel happy that I no longer have any strolers. At one time we had a single, a double and an unbrella but I'm happy to report I've sold them all. Yeah...for the next stroller free phase.

Tim said...

You are so right about strollers. I mean really, what would we do without them. I'll tell you, we would carry our kids everywhere places. Like when we must be at the mall all day shopping or something. Carrying those kiddos is not meant to be done for long periods of time.

Thank God for Strollers!!!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Unknown said...

Oh yes, the stroller dilemma! We used to have tons--singles, doubles, umbrella, etc but now we have one small single and one sit and stand that rarely gets used.

Nicole S. said...

My twins are only 5 months old and I already have three double strollers - and I'm in the market for at least one more. It just seems you need a different one for each occasion - not unlike shoes. :)

Cathy said...

since my kids are 3 years apart I was really hoping i'd get away without a double stroller--I regret that decision. :)

Susie said...

We are out of the stroller phase (in fact I am selling ours on Craig's list) but I could have used this years ago when I was shopping:-)

Unknown said...

I don't have a need for a double stroller but this is helpful info. For that matter I don't need a jogging stroller - it is too hilly in my subdivision to jog and push a toddler!

Amy said...

I may need a double stroller someday. I am not through having babies yet. I like my Chicco I have right now. Have a great day.

Laura said...

I am happy to say our stroller days are officially done :) I have owned every single stroller "type" available too.

Unknown said...

I can't wait until I get a new stroller again. I miss having one. I miss the baby/toddler stage! Oh my gosh, I miss it!

Heather said...

I have a fancy schmancy double stroller that folds to the size of a golf bag. I like it, but have found that as the twins get heavier, it's MUCH harder to steer.

Jen said...

you are so right on with this. The stroller was one of the things that I stressed over with the babies. Not how am I going to care for 3 babies but what kind of stroller should I get.
Nice work here!

T Rex Mom said...

Thank you - there are a couple expectant and new moms I know that will be needing a double stroller of sorts. Now I have more information I can share with them.

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

NO strollers needed here. I need some advice on "stop growing up so damn fast". What happened to my wee one I used to be able to hold like a football and lay on my chest?

Bar-b said...

Hello, my name is Barbie and I am.... addicted to strollers. *Hello Barbie*

My husband thinks I am crazy but they (as you so eloquently stated) are all different and provide different things. Not all strollers were created equal, yet neither one or the other is perfect.

Anyhow, thank you for your post. It has prompted me to go and view strollers online. Oh and congrats on your invitation to write for csnbaby.com!

ParentingPink said...

Great stroller review. I remember when my first daughter was born...it was tough "navigating" the "land of the strollers." I had no idea where to begin!

Now that I've got three little ones (a semi-pro at motherhood - at least I think!) I have settled into a nice double stroller & double baby jogger. It's great for the ages of my daughters!

Sarah said...

I'll have to ditto you on the Maclaren double stroller Angie ~ it was a lifesaver when both were younger. Nowadays for those especially long trips around the zoo, we bring an umbrella stroller, but use it to tote along food, water, sunscreen, etc. instead of children. I can remember my mom bringing a wagon, but I'm not sure if it would fit in the trunk!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

what a great topic choice angie! when you need a double stroller {or more} there are just so many options it is difficult to make a decision. i just posted an article from csnbaby on eco-friendly toys :)

Drama Queen Jenner said...

I miss my stroller. When my best friend had a surprise baby after her youngest was 10, I gave her the baby carseat my youngest had outgrown. Someone else in my house decided the stroller needed to go with it. :( I used that thing all the time! My favorite was as a high chair when we visited someone who didn't have one. I've been considering getting a small umbrella stroller just for trips to the mall, but if I'm going to have to chase the 3-y-o, I might as well chase the 18-m-o, too. And take reinforcements.

Kacey said...

OK, need to hear something funny? Recently we downgraded from our triple stroller to a better double stroller. I wanted a jogger so I would have options and they are SO EASY to manuever! Well, I should have been aware of the measurements...because when I loaded everyone up to go to our fave place to play, we COULD NOT fit in the door! Yep! We didn't fit and it was a TOTAL DISASTER. (It was a single door) LOL

Lindsay said...

I think stroller-envy affects us all :-) I especially was fond at STARING at the various DOUBLE strollers, especially the VARIETY found at Disney Land - I was in stroller-envy heaven! :-) Great post!

Rebecca said...

Finally bought a jogger and can't believe I put it off for so long. It's been awesome on day trips in big cities.