Saturday, April 04, 2009

Calming Your Child-the Power of Music


About Me: aka (MUNCHKINS AND MUSIC):

I am a mom to two great children and I have a bachelor’s degree in Music Education and am a music educator. I am passionate about teaching and have taught students of all ages both publicly and privately. I am also passionate about playing music. I have been playing music since I was 8 years old and play both the piano and the saxophone.

I believe that education in music is most sovereign, and I believe that everyone who learns music will reap its benefits. My goal is to teach children music and I have a website dedicated for this very purpose: http://www.munchkinsandmusic.blogspot.com/ .


Calming Your Child—the Power of Music

I walk in the door after a long day of running errands with my cranky and tired kids. I drop the groceries on the counter and sigh as I think of the things I need to do before I can put these tired kids to bed: feed them, bathe them, dress them, give them milk, brush their teeth, and read them a story. Then my husband calls--he is going to be home late tonight because he is swamped at work…GREAT! By this time my kids’ whining has turn into crying, and I still have to clean a pan to make dinner. But, before I do anything, I walk over to the CD player and turn on some music, and immediately I feel better: my kids stop crying, and I suddenly feel calm. Thank you Enya!

Studies at Stanford show that music stimulates brain waves which help to release tension, which is why I use music to help relieve my stress, and I am not alone. Many people all over the world use music for this very reason. Studies at Columbia University shows that surgeons who use music during operations, on average, were “mellower and better performers in the operating room.”

Studies at Yale show that “Music can be used to supplement sedation in the operating room” for patients who are being operated on. Yoga and palliates use music to help in stress management, mood, energy, and concentration. Music is used as a therapy to help alleviate pain and promote wellness. King Saul, from the Bible, was said to feel “refreshed and well” after asking David to play his harp. And, many sleep clinics also use music to help to soothe their patients to sleep.

So, what type of music will help calm your child? I would recommend soft and slow music because this type of music not only stimulates brain waves which help to release tension in cells and body organs but also helps slow the heart rate and breathing. Here is a list of music I use would recommend using to help calm your child:

1. Enya
2. Soft classical flute music
3. Any soft classical music
4. Music from http://www.sleeplullabies.com/ offers a wide variety of music and sounds to help sooth your babies.
5. New age music
6. Jazz ballads
7. Meditation music
8. Sounds of nature CDs of the ocean, the wind, or the rain are very soothing for any child. You can find these at any music store.

Every child is different, so try experimenting with different types of music. For example, I have learned that my children will calm down listening to Enya at night, and in the morning my children will calm down listening to jazz ballads. I also use white noise at night to help my children fall asleep (you can find this at sleeplullabies.com). Also, try experimenting with different types of music yourself. Let the music calm your nerves and help you feel relaxed!
Is there any music that you use to help calm your children that isn’t listed here? Please tell us; we would love to hear from you!
{You'll find a WEALTH and I mean WEALTH of information about music and children at Munchkins and Music, so be sure to stop by.}

16 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

we listen to all sorts of music around here + the little ones are already showing a preference for likes + dislikes. at night, they always fall asleep to varying sounds of lullabies + classical music. they are also enrolled in kindermusik + those cd's are always huge hits.

Unknown said...

We love Celtic music, too. That's one of our favorite bedtime genres to listen to! Very soothing.

Aunt Julie said...

I totally agree with you! My kids are both musical,and have a great appreciation of a variety of stylings. Classical was VERY big at our house when they were wee ones!

Amy said...

I have a CD player set up in my little one's room and we play different kinds of music there all day long.

Kimberly said...

I love music! All kinds, all styles. I am a teacher and I use music in my classroom ALL DAY LONG! My students respond so well to music and function so much better when there is some kind of music going on. We also use music to learn concepts...sometimes it is fast and fun, sometimes it is calm and slow, but it always helps!

Claremont First Ward said...

Your posts about music and children always inspire and teach me.

I took a Yoga class yesterday and it really hit home to me how soothing music and soft lighting can be.........I especially appreciate the time and energy you put into this post for my readers.

Thank you so much!

Mama Nut said...

Love this post! We love Enya and Loreena McKennit and all things classical here. It's amazing how it winds our children down and relaxes us.

Munchkins and Music said...

Thank you all so much, it always inspires me to hear how music has blessed your lives! And thanks again Angie!

T Rex Mom said...

Thanks for sharing - I totally agree with the music thing. My one-year-old has been napping and sleeping to the same classical CD nearly his entire life and when he hears it, he knows it's time for sleep. It's turned him into an excellent sleeper (he did NOT start out that way) - yes, the power of music!

Mandy said...

When I saw this title I thought, hmmm, I wonder if it will be Munchkins and Music??? :-)

Thanks for the list of suggestions, I will definitely look into them!

Wisconsin Parent said...

Thanks! I'm glad to have found this post through SITS. What instrument would you recommend as a "starter" instrument. My 5 year old is starting to read. Is this a bad time to introduce him to sheet music? Thanks!

Jenners said...

What a lovely helpful post! Good thing I saved my Enya CD!

Elyse said...

Music is so uplifting and beautiful too :) Thanks for sharing!
~Elyse~

tiarastantrums said...

WE are so big into music here in this house . . . all sorts!!!! Great post!! I've visited you prior . . . great guest!

Salty Incisor said...

Thank you for your post I really needed the reminder. I love the 60 beats per second stuff I bought a long time ago and classical of course. Lullabies are my favorites and I love Susie Tallman for that I am excited to stop by your blog.

turnitupmom said...

My daughter loves to dance to music, but to be honest, she loves the upbeat, catchy tunes. The lullabies and classical music never worked. Hey, they're all different!