Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Time that I hid...

It's Writer's Workshop again with Mama Kat. I LOVE to write new posts, but this prompt screamed recycle. Here's the time that I hid, re-visited.


Now it's funny.

Then it wasn't.

It was like a scene out of movie......could have been a comedy, could have been a drama, but I didn't want any part of it.

I was about 16 and I was with my best friend at work. We had this really unique work situation. We pulled files for a dental office and these wonderful dentists trusted us with a key to the practice. (What were they thinking?) We alternated weekends and when it was our weekend we were supposed to go into the empty office and pull the charts for the week. We were supposed (here's the operative word) to be alone, but many times we went together. It was understood that we should go during normal hours, that we be honest with our time cards, that we do not bring friends with us and that we do our job in a timely manner and then leave.

On this particular Saturday I went with Julie to help her pull the charts so she could finish faster. Julie turned the music up quite loud and we were having a great time hanging out. Julie was pulling the charts for the week, and I was putting away ones from the previous week.

Then, we heard a key in the lock. Ahhhhhh, that could only mean one thing. One of the dentists had dropped in. Julie ran down the hall to turn the music down and I hid in one of the partners' bathroom. I picked this bathroom with care because I reasoned that that doctor NEVER came into the office during the weekend. If he did, he certainly wouldn't come in just to use the bathroom. So, I slid behind the open door and waited in the dark for whoever had entered the office to leave. Soon I hear a "hello Dr. Dentist". What? Dr. Dentist? The Dr. Dentist that never comes in? Deep breath. Everything is going to be fine. Surely he will grab something from his office and leave.

Here comes the footsteps.

Closer, closer, closer.

Crap.

Too close.

Way too close.

He's coming straight for me.

Panic. Panic. Panic.

I'm thinking: What am I going to do? How am I going to get out of this one? We are dead!

And then the scene resumes. Uh oh. There's the light. There's the door closing. It appears he had one reason for coming into the office and one reason only. I'm exposed and nooooooo......but yes it's true. His belt is unbuckled and his zipper is down (don't worry, I didn't see anything). Then he sees me and jumps about a foot. I don't know what to do. He's so startled that he doesn't realize I was standing behind his door in the dark. He says excuse me. He didn't hear me in here. I say it's OK and bolt.

I wonder if it ever occured to him that things didn't quite add up. I do know I kept my job. And, I avoided him like the plague after that. But, that panicy, dishonest feeling has stayed with me, and I learned a lesson. I no longer loiter in places I'm not authorized, and if I'm going to hide, I don't do it behind bathroom doors.


Photobucket


61 comments:

Robin said...

Aack! I think I'd have peed my pants if that happened to me!

Lacey in the Sky said...

Ahahahaha, I love picturing you hiding behind the bathroom door! So funny... I don't know how you brought yourself to go back to the office the next time you were supposed to work! eek!

Elizabeth said...

So funny! I would have avoided him after that too!

Darla said...

Help! I would have been in a panic..I probably would have had a heart attack on the spot! Surprising that he was so calm about it. :) Well, at least you got to keep the job!

Shannon said...

Very funny!!

Weeksie50 said...

Oh, there is nothing like catching someone with their pants down..lol.

jori-o said...

Oh, that's great! We all did some really *bright* things as teens, didn't we?

Melissa said...

That is the funniest thing... I am here giggling at my desk (oops...I didn't just say I was reading tis while working..)!!

Emily said...

Just reading that made my heart beat a little faster! Surely a moment you will never forget! Great post!

Carrie and Jim said...

Wow, that's crazy and really funny. You have some really great stories!

Kate P. said...

OMG! THAT is funny! I would have DIED! Thanks for sharing!

Casey's trio said...

This is a perfect story for Writer's Workshop!

Rhonda said...

Hindsight. lol

They probably would have been more okay with you guys working together (seeing as you weren't goofing around at that moment) than that dentist was going pee with an audience.

That's too funny!

Heather said...

Oh, I cringed reading this post! I can imagine your heart going a mile a minute.

Anonymous said...

lmao. It sounds just like a scene from a movie.

Kacey said...

Thanks for the great laugh! Very well written my dear!

Angie said...

Oh my gosh, that was a close call. I mean, who wants to be stuck hiding in the bathroom while a man takes care of his "business"!?! EWWWW!!!
:0)

~angie~

Anonymous said...

Of all the luck!
I imagine he was just as embarrassed as you although I'm sure that mattered little.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh.No.You.Didn't.
Well written, you had me on the egde of my toilet seat. I mean, seat.

Joy said...

That is freaking hillarious! I would have probaly had to quit my job!

Michelle said...

LOL! That is a great story! When I was in HS my boy friend cleaned a dentist office after hours. A bunch of us would usually tag along. We would spray each other with the water gun thingy and sometimes we would put the topical numbing cream on our lips and kiss each other! Such fun!

Jen said...

Thats a great story and a good lesson for us all. Don't hide in bathrooms.

Jamie said...

So Funny!

Aubrey said...

OMGOSH!!! I'm in tears from laughing so hard. THAT is a great story. Great. Story.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

hahaha, that is on great story angie! and i have to say it was quite well written, i was freaking out a little as i was reading it, as if i were hiding with you!

Dana said...

Oh my! I surely would have peed my pants right about then! Glad all was well.....

Laurie said...

Wow, what a funny story! Glad you got out of that one okay.

Anonymous said...

Cute story!

Elyse said...

That was funny! By the way, I added my Wednesday post to linky. I can not keep my mouth shut either!
~Elyse~

Solei said...

lol!!! that is just too funny!
Poor guy was probably more embarassed than you!
=0D

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. i am sure that he was completely startled by you and for fear of being called a perv did not think about the reason for your presence.

Jaime said...

Oh my!! That's hilarious! I can imagine you were probably terrified!

girlytwins said...

Hilarious. I laughed just as hard this time as when I read this story the first time. He musta been mortified. hahahaha

Straight to Your Hart said...

Good thing that was all that went on in there..LOL!!! Ah the antics of being 16...Love it 'cause at least back then I would have an excuse..now??

Having a great laugh..thank you!

Quirky said...

Great story telling!
I seriously got a knot in my stomach just reading it!

Melissa said...

Oh, that poor dude.
Luckily you didn't see anything.
I think this is funny.

Stu Pidasso said...

Good story. Murphy's Law in full swing. Pray tell, what is up with Wordful Wednesdays?? I can't find any rules or directions. God bless and thanks for stopping inat my site.

Kayla, Nic, Paige, Ellie and Maddy said...

Ha! I love this story! I worked in a dental office for years, this would have been my luck!!

Kally said...

Hahaha! How funny! I would have avoided him too. Embarrassing!!!

jenn said...

OMG! That's too funny! I don't think I could have showed my face around him after that.

sassy stephanie said...

ha ha ha...I love it.

stefanie said...

How did you not scream? I think I would have screamed.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh. My. Gosh!

Anonymous said...

OMG Angie! That is hilarious...I am laughing out loud!! I am sorry to laugh at your expense but that was truly funny!!

Meaghan said...

stopping by to visit your blog, always great!

-Meaghan

Vicki said...

Oh my, no way. I wouldn't know how to recover from that. Yikes!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I would've been totally mortified! I bet he was too! HA!

Shannon said...

An oldie but a goodie. Love this one!

hippos toes said...

Awkward!!!! Wow, I think I would definitely have learned a lesson after that too.

Jennifer P. said...

I think his vulnerable position must have shut his brain off and let you get away :)!

Too funny!

Krazy Armstrong K's! said...

He probably peed HIS pants! LOL, thats too funny!

AdriansCrazyLife said...

Don't feel bad. In my first week on the job as a secretary, my bra popped open. My boss was in a meeting and I was waiting for an important phone call, so I couldn't leave to go to the restroom and fix it, so I popped into his office for a minute.

I pulled my top up to fix it and who walks in. Yes, my boss. My very married, very conservative boss of less than a week. I don't think he saw anything, but good grief! I'm sure he wondered what I was doing flashing his chair!

Brandy said...

What are the chances? I think I would have just died on the spot. I bet you he checks the bathrooms more carefully now thanks to you ... lol.

Lindsay said...

That is hilarious! Isn't it funny how as adults we'd just own up to whatever naughty thing we're doing, but as kids you just want to run and hide?! Strange...

And seriously - that sounds like a sweet job you had!!

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatBouska said...

Oh my gosh my heart would have been pounding!!! I bet you two were dying after that!

Connie said...

Ha ha...I think I would have avoided him as well!!

Mark and Kiss said...

Baha! Too funny! I remember this story, you have so many great ones Angie! Thanks for all the laughs! I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Busted!

Laura said...

This story was classic. Seriously classic. There is no better way to learn the lessons of life than through utter humiliation!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Great story, I could see it coming and I am shouting " Don't go in there" and " No it can't be him"
You know stuff like that!
I would have died!