Monday, June 23, 2008

You asked, I FINALLY answered

Your favorite question was posed by my cousin Kristen. She asked, "If you were to choose any religion other than your own, which would you choose?"

I might get lengthy here, so bear with me.

I would be a Buddhist, although whether I'd be Mahayana or Theravada, I couldn't say. I think I'd lean towards Mahayana since they have the Mahayana Sutras, and since I like to read, an additional text is good.

Here's why I'd choose Buddhism:

I like the idea of the Middle Way or using moderation in the extremes of self indulgence and self-mortification and also using moderation in the practice of wisdom, morality and mental cultivation.

The concept of dependent origination or that everything depends on everything else is very interesting to me as are the Four Noble Truths as they relate to suffering.

An instrument of discovery, The Noble Eightfold Path generates insights unveiling the ultimate truth of things. This technique used to eradicate greed, hatred and delusion is appealing. Don't we all want to know the ultimate truth and goodness in life?

One of my most interesting classes in college was "Great Religions of the World". I love learning about other religions and feel blessed that I am fully converted to my faith.

Laurie said, "If you could choose any of Snow White and the seven dwarfs to describe your personality which dwarf would you be?"

To answer this question I had to recall the names/characteristics of each dwarf. That took a long time. Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, Dopey. Let's see: I don't often confuse words, but I do like to lead, so Doc is in the running. I can be grumpy, but I wouldn't say it's a defining characteristic. I don't think I am the bubbly over the top type HAPPY person, so that's out. Content would be a better word to describe the happiness that emanates from me. I love to sleep, but I'm not sleepy. Definitely not Bashful. Not Sneezy. And thank goodness, not Dopey. So, this is a hard one. I'm going to have to go with Snow White. When it's all said and done, I relate more to women. Easy peasy.

"Who is more your "type", Batman or Robin??" is what Arizona would like to know.

I'm going to have to go with Wolverine from X-Men. Wait, that wasn't an option was it? Oh well.

Another cousin Brenna asked, "Are you a skeptic or a believer when it come to Ghost's? Do you believe that people from the other side visit us and try to get in touch with us and sometimes just try to scare us?"

Oh, I believe in ghosts all right.

Rosie queried, "Who is your hero? Not just any hero - but the hero that inspires you to get through the day? The hero that makes you glad to be alive and the one that stirs you to do your best?"

I've been thinking and thinking about this one. I don't have one hero. My idea of a hero is a mixture of many people that exhibit or cultivate traits that allow them to overcome adversity with grace and help others to become the best they can. My hero is someone that stops to hold the door for someone who is struggling. One who smiles at strangers and brightens their day. One who volunteers their time to make the world a better place. One who experiences loss and heartache but can overcome the sadness. To me, a hero isn't someone that executes ONE act that makes a difference, it's one that executes many and strives every day to be a better person and make the world a better place.

And yet another cousin by marriage (Melissa) asked, "Which adult do you think your the closest to? No one your age like people our parents age."

I guess it would have to be my dad for two reasons. One, I actually talk to him on a regular basis, unlike most people. I really rarely talk on the phone and that seriously hinders relationships if one doesn't live close geographically. Secondly, he reads my blog, and if anyone wants to know anything about me, this be the place.

Photobucket

28 comments:

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Okay. Buddhism? And you can differentiate between sects? Whoa. It always seemed like a no-religion kind of religion? Just all peace and love and at one with the universe. Or is that Hinduism?

Anyway. I'm impressed.

Threeundertwo said...

I loved loved loved the Religions of the World class at college.

Wolverine? Seriously?

Shannon said...

Wow, I am so impressed with your understanding of Buddhism. I think I am going to go and learn more after your explaination.

I am not a phone talker either. In fact I have a list a mile long of people I owe a call. Doesn't mean I don't care, I just don't like to spend my quiet moments on the phone. Fun list!

jenni anne said...

i've always been facinated with buddhism too. actually, i'm kinda fond of most eastern religions. very peaceful. fun post!

Cecily R said...

Great answers Angie. Like I expected anything less. Geez, I really need to get on the ball and answer mine. Someday someday.

I think I might be Dopey. Crud.

Wolverine seems sort of hairy for you, but okay...

Jaime said...

Buddhism, huh? Interesting.

I think it's funny that you chose Snow White because you "relate more to women.":)

Gunnisac Sandersons said...

Great answers! I am just wondering what makes you a believer? Have you ever had your own ghostly encounter? I am just very curious about this subject if you can't tell. I have never really looked into other religions outside of Christian faiths, so that was very interesting to read about.

Laurie said...

I loved your answers and I could tell that a lot of thought went into this. Thanks for all the great answers.

Lala said...

I too would choose Buddhism. :)
I (although not asked) would choose Jean Grey from X-men. She really knows how to use her brain *wink
And plus I think I like the idea of being like a Phoenix and rising up from the ash! (granted she went crazy and burnt herself out- but I can relate to that as well! <--LOL)

Sarah said...

Loved your post...what great questions!

Jocasta said...

Great answers. I regret not taking a religion class at university. I didn't understand how interesting I think I would have found it and of course now I do have questions about different faiths and what they are about.

Heather said...

Ok, first of all, you are up way too late! Like my kind of hours! Are you back? Totally great thoughts girl!

Laura said...

I took a world religions class in college too and was so interested in the different religions too. I am impressed but your knowledge retention. I cannot remember the details of the religions much now. Interesting post!

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I meditated at the Zen Buddhist Temple in Chicago for a while, but they were all so darn serious! I couldn't take it. I always felt like giggling....

Jamie said...

That was a fun read. I like your idea of a hero. I totally agree.

Jaysi said...

Wow! This is great insight in to who you are. I loved all of your answers. I am amazed at how much you know about Buddhism considering you are not Buddhist. I like Yoga if that counts! I think we need a whole new round of questions for you now.

-Bridget said...

Great, well thought out answers. This is my first time visiting your blog and it gave me a great little window into your personality.

The Jensens said...

Angie, the way you think things through is my favorite thing about you. I think your "content" happiness is a result of you being absolutely accepting of who you are. I love that.

Rebecca said...

Good thoughts! interesting read.

Stephanie said...

I love your idea of a hero.
Fun questions and I love the thought and angle you took to answering them! Great post.

Susie said...

Oh nuts! I'm so grumpy for sure!

I love your answers and can't wait to ask you one! I have to think of a good one though.

Your knowledge of Buddhism is very impressive!

I don't like talking on the phone either--but I loves me some email!

Kendra said...

I love that you picked Snow White. Great post and what a great way to get to know you better.

Are You Serious! said...

♡ I think I need to do a little studying on different religions!

Great list of answers & questions! :)

Tracy P. said...

Hey, just stopping by from SITS. Lots of interesting thinking here, and I just learned a new word by clicking on your monoamniotic twins button. So thanks!

Melissa said...

Thanks for finally answering.
Very fun.

Melissa said...

Thanks for finally answering.
Very fun.

Melissa said...

Thanks for finally answering.
Very fun.

latree said...

I like your idea of heroes.
about the seven dwarfs... i think i'm grumpy :P