Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Ideas from the Tip Junkie

Do you remember last month when I talked bragged  about meeting Laurie Turk of Tip Junkie and Executive Homemaker?  I told you all that she is even nicer in person than I would have ever imagined, if that's even possible. When I told you I ADORE her personally and professionally, I really meant it.

I'm not sure if I told you this, but if we lived in the same city, I'd make her my new B-F-F, stat.

She's just that great.  And I mean that.

Keep on reading and you'll see what I mean.

And yes, the text below IS Laurie Turk "talking".  She's guest posting here today.

Ms.  Laurie Turk, the original Tip Junkie is here.  HERE.   I feel like a celebrity.  This is just as exciting {or more exciting, really} as when one of my favorite authors actually visited my blog, commented on it, AND linked up.

I hope that you enjoy this Thanksgiving week, finding many things to be grateful for!




I just love to focus on gratitude and family traditions during November. Here as several activities you can do with your family this week.



World of Homemaking does the Turkey Day Awards! Ask each family member for their nominations and be sure everyone gets an award. For example, "best haircut of the year" or "toughest survivor of a home renovation." You make awards in these cute pine cone scrolls tutorial.



A tradition that would be fun to start is a Thanksgiving Book. Every year each member of the family is given a sheet of paper to write down the things for which they are thankful. You then put the sheets into a binder and save them so that next year you can look back and see what everyone wrote the year before and then compare it to the current year.



A Little Life has a tutorial on how to make these fun gratitude leaves.



High Heeled Mama made a gratitude garland.



I found this idea from Country Living. On strips of paper, write quotes or phrases. Fasten strip at end with double-sided tape, so it is slightly smaller than the glass's circumference; place on each glass. Invite guests, when seated, to read quote aloud.



This is Jennifer's picture grateful album with a mini tutorial so you can do it too!



Debbie has a Thanksgiving blessing book to help focus on the what we're grateful for.



I found this Family Gratitude Spinner Project over on Ali's blog. What a beautiful way to capture what your family is grateful for this year.



Amber gratitude tree is beautiful, it's a Hallmark tree altered for Thanksgiving.



Jo-Ann's family tradition; every year the children make their thankful lists on the chalkboard in their kitchen. Jo-Ann takes a picture of it to capture these special blessings.



Chocolate on my Cranium's tradition: Every year we each have a thanks tree and a giving tree. We add leaves to each tree each day writing something we are thankful for and something we have done to give or help others.



Kendra's family is working with our kids for the whole month of November on cultivating an "attitude of gratitude." So she made a gratitude tree. Every night at dinner time, each member of the family comes up with one specific thing they are thankful for each day and we write it on a leaf and post it on the wall.



Rebecca's family's tradition; She makes a thankful turkey and throughout the month everyone writes something they're are thankful for and adds it to the turkey. He gets nice and fluffy by Thanksgiving.

To make planning your traditions really easy this year, print out all of them on 2 pages and simply circle the one's you want to do!

THANK YOU, Laurie!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to do them all! We have made the turkeys, too (one for each of the kids) but I REALLY like the thanks and giving trees. What a great idea!

Shell said...

I really like the idea of makng some sort of record to keep what everyone is thankful for. Either on paper or taking a pic of whatever you make.

Susie said...

Those are AWESOME ideas!!

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

What incredible ideas!! I love the leaves and the quotes on the wine glasses especially. :)

T Rex Mom said...

Lots of great ideas. "Thanks" for sharing!

Jen said...

Wow! Those are some great tips.

Dumb Mom said...

Great tips. We need a new Thanksgiving treat to share with the entire family.

brunger bunch said...

So many great ideas...now where to start!

Kristin said...

Darling ideas, but where do these women find the time? or the motivation in my case? Ugh. I'm already dreading Christmas!

Justine said...

Lots of cute ideas here!

Justine :o )

Amy said...

I enjoy checking out tip junkie..

Live.Love.Eat said...

Awesome tips. I especially like the tree and the wine glasses!!!!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Wow these are all awesome ideas! I love the thanks and giving trees. Thank you for sharing!

Aubrey said...

So many great ideas! I see a couple I'd like to do!! Great post! Thanks for sharing!!

girlytwins said...

Thank u Thank u Thank u! I am hosting Thanksgiving this year for the first time and I so need ideas for decorations and new traditions. I am thankful for you :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful words you said about me. Right back at 'cha babe! You're completely fabulous.

Laurie
http://www.tipjunkie.com

Annie said...

Wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Have a wonderful and blessing week.

Brenda said...

I love these ideas, thanks!

CC said...

We're doing a tree like Chocolate on my Cranium (did hers last year!) and Kendra. I'll take a pic and post about it tomorrow for Wordful Wednesday! :)