Monday, January 28, 2008

Had to break the news last night.....

to my children that the prophet of my church had passed away. So many of my blogging friends have posted about this, and my good friend Heather at In The Quiet Heart wrote exactly what I would have wanted to say. So I'm quoting her here:

"This dear sweet man has been the leader and president of our beloved church. Gordon B. Hinckley died this evening at the age of 97. I couldn't let this go without a little, modest tribute. President Hinckley will always seem so familiar to me. I felt like I knew him more than any other leader of my lifetime. He was charity, kindness and lightheartedness completely personified. He was dignity and integrity to his very core. He inspired me to be better, and to do better. When he spoke he moved and engaged me. The world has lost a great, great man. His legacy will last many generations. My heart aches and my eyes are teary, but as he taught us "Carry On." That's my job. Carry on just a small portion of the person he was."

11 comments:

jeremiahrjones said...

We only heard this morning after the kids were already off to school. We get to break it to them later today.

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow! she put it perfectly and brought me to tears thanks for sharing that.
it is so amazing to see everyone's sweet tributes. and thoughts on this amazing man. we will all feel the loss especially at conference time but everyone is happy for him to be reunited with his wife.

Are You Serious! said...

I still haven't told my kids. Emma's home from school sick. Heather did a great job on her tribute. It's been great to read what everyone has to say about him!

girlytwins said...

When I heard about this terrible loss to your community/family last night I immediately thought of you. In my thoughts and prayers.

The Pruetz Family said...

Wow -- what a beautiful tribute to man who obviously moved mountains with his faith. When the Pope died, I cried for days. I imagine the same pain will resonate through your family. I am sorry for your loss. The entire LDS community will be in our prayers.

Clark Captions said...

I love your tribute Ang! What a wonderful man of God President Hinkley is...he leaves a great legacy!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I have really enjoyed reading all the tributes to the Prophet... your friend did an excellent job, thanks for sharing it. He was truly a man of God!

Casey's trio said...

What a loss to your church community. I'm sure the tributes to him will be overwhelming.

Mark and Kiss said...

I love President Hinckley and am in awe at all the tremendous good that he has done worldwide, and particularly in my "world". Each time I have heard him speak or read his words, I have been uplifted and inspired to be kinder, more loving to my family, to be a better neighbor and to do more for my community! I love how he worked so hard to make temples more accessible to church members! The list goes on....
We got a call about 20 minutes after he passed and went online to verify its accuracy, nothing was there, and eventually popped up as we were looking. We sat down with the boys and talked about it. It was a tender and meaningful time to talk about how happy he must be to be with his wife and the Savior and to talk about different principles of the gospel that he emphasized. I feel so blessed to have known his teachings and had his example.

Cecily R said...

I tried to post about him and I can't do it. I'm glad there are so many of you who can put into words what I can't seem to. I love him so much.

Josh n Betsie said...

I found your site on the monoamniotic site. Its great to know that there are other lds ladies on that site. I still have a ways to go until I have these twins but hopefully with the people i have met on that site and having the gospel in my life I will remain sane and make it through this trial.
Betsie-jbsayers