Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute-New Twins

ATTENTION: Mr. LINKY is MIA. AGAIN. Please feel free to enter your site link in the comments section so that we can all get around for a visit.
Tuesday's Tribute

What is it?
Well, we'll tell you what it is NOT... It's Not About YOU. It's about SOMEONE ELSE. It's our chance, each of us, to shine our light on someone else.

Huh? Whaddya mean?
We each spend a lot of time talking about ourselves and our lives, but we are also fairly GIVING people too...Tuesday's Tribute is a chance to talk about OTHER people, OTHER blogs, OTHER lives.

Now's your chance to shine your light on someone else.

They say IDENTICAL twins don't run in families, that fraternal twins do. So, I've always thought it was interesting that my identical twins made my grandmothers THIRD set of identical great-grandchildren. Twins run in Jeff's family. Identical twins. Like every generation. So, it's my supposition that identical twins run in some families. Like there is a gene that comes from both parents that makes some couples more prone to identical twinning. I'm really interested in the science of twinning. Some of you know that . {For those of you that do, stop rolling your eyes.} So, when a new study is released proving my hypothesis, I want you all to remember that I knew this already. Feel free to come back and tell me how intelligent I am. :)

Wait. This isn't about me.

This is about my cousin and her twins. She recently had the most beautiful little twin girls. I got to see them in the NICU when they were only a day old. It was the sweetest experience. It was surreal to be back in the NICU, but to be in a different situation. One in which it wasn't my babies in isolettes. I had the opportunity to see those little girls parents love them up and it warmed my heart. so. much.

These twins are particularly special to me because of their mom.

When I had my twins she was in a unique position to be able to help me out. She didn't have any children at the time, and instead of using her time doing "fun" things, she devoted HOURS, and I mean HOURS to helping me. She came to visit me weekly at the hospital (and we know how UNFUN that can be), and then when my boys came home from the NICU she spent at least 3 days a week at my house for ALMOST 4 months helping me with the twins.

Now she has her own, and I couldn't be happier for her.

So, here's to you, my hard-working, take charge, incredible cousin.

I only wish I could be the sort of help to you that you were to me.

Photobucket


29 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

I believe identical is passed down from generattions also. So glad I am not the only one who questions medical science. How sweet that your cousin has twins. My cousin had a daughter when my girls were 1 1/2 and I got to go back to NICU where my girls were to visit my cousin. What an experience, I agree!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Ps - Can I join the monoamnioticstories site? I would love to share my Momo story. Thanks!

Nicole S. said...

Hurray!! Twins are so awesome - good luck to your cousin. So hard but so rewarding.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Yayyy for twins!!! (We have fraternal twins in my family. :) ) What a wonderful tribute this is.

Erin said...

Twins are on my dad's side of the family, but I think it is Merrick's generation that gets the gene:)
Congrats to your cousin!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I always just assumed it ran in the family somehow and didn't realize some people say it doesn't. I bet you're right! And that is just the coolest to have someone like her in your life. She's pretty lucky though too! Congrats to your cuz!!!!!!!!

Sam_I_am said...

I love twins. It amazes me how they can look so similar and so different all at the same time. It amazes me how their personalities can be so different too. I think think it's an awesome phenomenon. Congrats to your cousin and her new baby girls!

Jenni said...

Congratulations on the newest additions to your family! What a great tribute!

S Club Mama said...

Big A keeps telling me we're having twins, when we're obviously not. One heartbeat, one baby in each ultrasound. I am, however, having twins: a niece and a nephew, in Oct. I'm looking forward to that. I've only known one set of twins and not very well.

Unknown said...

How wonderful of your cousin to help you out like that! You CAN be a support to her--in a different way. Your wisdom and experience will be worth so much to her.

I'm off to write my tribute now!

April said...

yay for babies! here's my tribute :-)

http://www.aprilslittlefamily.com/2009/05/manic-monday-err-tuesday-forgotten-cell.html

Amy said...

I don't have twins but my cousin has twin boys and so does on of my best friends - she is bringing them to see me next week. I am so excited. Nice tribute to your cousin. Congratulations to her.

No Mr. Linky today? Darn every one come visit me (especially if you have girls!) I am hosting a giveaway.

http://mamaswithdrama.blogspot.com/2009/05/little-cutie-hair-bows.html

Jenn@ The Crazies said...

Where is Mr Linky today??

Melissa said...

Nice post Angie. I hope Brooke gets to read it since she's so busy. I think she'd love it.

Unknown said...

Darn Mr Linky! :(

Here's my post:
Tuesday Tribute: Beth and Ezra

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Mr. Linky is causing chaos in the blogosphere. I am about to ban him from my site permanently, if he isn't careful! :)

I must say that I really enjoy visiting your site, Angie. Your posts bring a refreshing sense of honesty and openness. However, I have to agree with Lollie...she is wise, you know. What you give your cousin in return may not be your physical presence, but your support through listening and giving advice.

-Francesca

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Congratulations to your cousin! Wow! That's a lot of twins in your family!

My husband's employer has 2 sets of twins (naturally!) I applaud you!!! I cannot even imagine!

What a fantastic tribute!

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Congrats to her on her twins, and to her for having helped you previously with yours. Good practice, eh? :)

Here's my Tribute - to Ezra

http://www.crazyadventuresinparenting.com/2009/05/can-you-help.html

Muthering Heights said...

Wow, I can only imagine!!

http://mutheringheights.blogspot.com/2009/05/tribute-to-you-and-giveaway-winner.html

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

My husband's dad was an identical, but his twin didn't make it. Identical twins run on my husband's side, but only with the men in his family. (Does that make sense? The wives of the male blood relatives had the twins.) I think there has to be some genetic link to it. Its been ages since I've searched PubMed. Twinning is definitely very interesting!

T Rex Mom said...

What an amazing and caring gal your cousin is - hopefully her baby girls are thriving.

It seems she's well prepared for such an experience now! She's probably grateful for all the time she spent with you too!

Kristin said...

That was nice. Brooke is a really good soul.
I had my u/s today, it's a boy, and the lady doing it, had 10 kids. TWO sets of identicals. Like one in a million chance she said. Can you even imagine???? 10 kids???? in 16 years. And her husband left her when the last twins were 2. Don't get me started. Amazing women all over this world.

Brooke said...

Thanks for the great tribute Angie. I don't think that I did anything out of the ordinary, or that anyone else wouldn't have done for you. I was just in the right place at the right time.

And yes, I will take all your advice and expertise on the subject of twins!

annies home said...

What a lovely story sounds like more than family sounds like great friends
Here is my tribute to my grandmother http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2009/05/at-well.html

Tracy said...

hmmm - still learning b/c I did not know that identical twins could be genetic - though everything else is so . . .
blessings to your cousin - what a wonderful gift & she will have a heads up b/c of all the help she gave you. I am SURE that your friendship & similar twin experience will be more than a blessing to her.

Mozi Esme said...

Sweet tribute! And how awesome that she has her own now... :)

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwww. Congratulations to her! I think that is so cool that twins run so heavily in your family! I always thought it would be cool to have a pair : ).

Anonymous said...

I think that ID twins must run in families as well. But to blast that theory, I had ID twins and neither me or my husband's families every had twins, so who knows!!

What a special blessing your cousin has with her twins, and hopefully you will be able to help her as she helped you.

Susie said...

Great tribute!